Friday, June 21, 2013

New journal fit for a muggle

I feel like I have slowed down tremendously in making crafts. This resulted from a number of reasons:

1) I am moving away from making earrings. The market on Etsy is super-saturated and I already have about 50 pairs in queue. I would like to see how other items do.
2) House guests are more entertaining and fulfilling than crafts.
3) I am trying to curb any excess spending so I'm working with the craft supplies I already have (or am trying to).

Still, I was able to finish another journal tonight.

Harry Potter inspired journal

When I saw this fabric remnant in the clearance bin at Hobby Lobby, I thought "antique, dainty, tea-time fabric." It was a neutral shade that would appeal to a wide group of people, so I picked it up. (The clearance fabrics are awesome for these journals, because they only require about two square feet.)

Somehow, it brought me to the Marauder's Map. If you don't know what the Marauder's Map is, leave now. Just go. Acquaint yourself with popular fiction and come back. I had seen a cute mug that had this saying on it, and hot liquid showed the secret message, "Mischief managed." There are a lot of cute mugs out there; I do not drink coffee and therefore seldom drink out of mugs. No point in owning cute ones.

But, I wanted to apply this clever allusion to a journal.

The back inside cover boasts the secret message

It would have been neat to have an aged map fabric for this, but I am going for subtle (and what was available to me at a discount). I chose a burlap patterned paper to stick with the neutral, aged look. I gave the book a black ribbon to match the text ink - so it wouldn't look out of place.

Searched for "Harry Potter font" and found one immediately! Gotta love Google

Tomorrow will be taking some better pictures and hopefully getting it posted on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment